Private Hire Insurance
Private Hire insurance is for minicab and minibus drivers who are licensed to carry passengers for hire and reward, i.e. payment. To be eligible for Private Hire, such minicabs must be pre-booked.
For taxis which are to be hailed in the street, Public Hire Insurance would be required.
Why do I need Private Hire Insurance?
Private Hire Insurance is required if you intend to use a vehicle to pick up pre-booked passengers for hire and reward. Your taxi must be licensed by the appropriate licence authority in your area, and in a good state of repair.
In such a situation, the vehicle you drive is your livelihood. It is critical to keep it on the road for you to keep earning, and minimise risks associated with driving for a living.
Private Hire Insurance is one of the biggest costs of being a driver, so finding the best deal for the most suitable cover is critical. Our policies are fully flexible to suit your requirements:
- Competitive prices from £70.
- Choice of weekly, monthly, quarterly or annual cover.
- Cover for all drivers, including those with little or no experience.
- Choice of 3, 6 or 10 monthly instalments for annual policies
- Accepted by Uber.
- Private car NCB accepted in certain circumstances.
We can also offer a protected no claims discount option
We can offer a policy to anyone, but to get the best price you must meet the following conditions:
- Ages 21 to 65.
- Full UK or EU driving licence.
- 3 claims or fewer in the last 3 years.
- Private Hire Licence.
- England, Scotland and Wales only.
- Vehicle has a maximum of 7 seats.
Additional criteria may apply. Our panel of insurers do background checks on convictions, claims and motoring history.
What is typically included in Private Hire Insurance?
You should think about Private Hire Insurance as a package of options. The base of the cover is a simple vehicle insurance policy which can then extend with a series of optional add-ons to suit your needs. We offer both third-party and fully comprehensive insurance packages, that can include:
- Loss of, or damage to, your vehicle
- Damage to other vehicles or property, up to £10 million.
- Loss of, or damage to, your vehicle’s spare parts
- Windscreen damage (excess £50)
- Audio, communication and navigation equipment (£500 excess)
Optional Cover Available
- Excess Protection: Our Motor Excess Protection Insurance provides a client with an opportunity to safeguard themselves against the cost of their motor insurance excess in the event of a fault claim or a delay in third party payment – both of which can be common occurrences.
- Breakdown Cover: A breakdown at the side of the road is never convenient – and that’s why we provide clients with options which take care of them in every eventuality – whether that’s filling the tank with the wrong fuel, engine or battery failure, or an incident involving another driver.
- Legal Protection: We offer Motor Legal Expenses polices which protect and defend clients whilst minimising risk and extra costs associated with unexpected events. We remain committed to ensuring that clients have an understanding of the benefits associated with Motor Legal Expenses and the cover afforded to them.
Why Export and General?
- We do all the hard work to offer you competitive market quotes
- We access a wide range of insurers and find you the best package for your needs
- Highly experienced team with your interest at heart
- Personal service – we care about what matters to you
It doesn’t cost you anything to let us quote, but think about what it could save you.
Contact our team